"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Music Tuesday: In Memoriam, Dolly Parton

As you all probably know, Dolly Parton, the great country singer and songwriter and even sometime movie star, passed away two weeks ago now on August 25th.  Sassy, traditional, revolutionary, feminist without the negative aspects of feminism, wife to one husband for decades, philanthropist, believing Christian, and all-round good person, she was one of a kind.  She grew up poor, became rich from her talent, but always understood those that struggled to make ends meet.  From ABC News:

Dolly Parton, the beloved country music superstar known as much for her philanthropy and theme park business as she was for her chart-topping hit songs, has died at 80.

Parton's death on Tuesday was announced by her publicist, who said the singer "died peacefully" in Nashville. No cause of death was initially provided, but a later statement provided by her publicist said Parton died at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center surrounded by loved ones after "bravely facing a brief battle with cancer."

A small private service will be held for immediate family, the publicist said.

"As many of you know, I have been dealing with some health challenges, and my doctors tell me that I must have a few procedures," Parton wrote on Instagram in September 2025, though she never specified the nature of her health issues. Nearly six months later, at the seasonal opening of her Dollywood theme park, she said that she was still dealing with "a few little health issues" from which she was taking time to recover.

Parton also shared that she was still navigating her grief over the March 2025 death of her husband of nearly 60 years, Carl Dean, saying that she had been taking time since to rebuild herself "spiritually, emotionally and physically."




I did not really know Dolly Parton’s work that well.  Her music wasn’t exactly in my catalogue of listening titles, but I did like what I heard.  The thing that surprised me the most as I learned about her life is that she was a great songwriter.  She wrote her own songs and songs for others.  I can’t recall the exact number but the songs attributed to her are in the thousands.  AP devoted an article to her music legacy and said this.

Parton’s legacy starts with the immortality of her music: songwriting as solace, an exercise in creativity and an unwavering ability to write experience into art. Across her career, Parton wrote and performed perennial hits (“Jolene,” “Coat of Many Colors,” “Little Sparrow,” take your pick) and others that took on a life of their own (most famously, “I Will Always Love You,” made immortal by Whitney Houston ).

Parton grew up in poverty, one of 12 kids in East Tennessee’s rural Sevier County, where she started writing songs as a toddler. By 10, she was on the radio and TV in Knoxville, Tennessee. By 13, she had made her debut at the Grand Ole Opry. At 21, she joined “The Porter Wagoner Show,” her star power quickly eclipsing its host.

The accomplishments — and the trials and tribulations that came with them, which she let roll off her shoulders with enviable resiliency — came fast and furious, as they do with once-in-a-lifetime talents. There are the 10 Grammys, the numerous Hall of Fame inductions, and the fact that she revolutionized the world of country music for women alongside Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynette, creating a path for crossover artistry. But there are also her Hollywood forays. It’s telling that her first feature film, “9 to 5,” celebrated women in the workplace and messed with their devious bosses.

The other aspect of her life that I learned was her philanthropy.  PEOPLE magazine had an article on her charitable giving. 

Beyond writing and performing hits like “Jolene,” “9 to 5” and “Coat of Many Colors,” the legendary country singer-songwriter — who died on Tuesday, Aug. 25 at age 80 — dedicated much of her life to helping others at home and abroad.

From starting her Dollywood Foundation in the 1980s to help children in Sevier County, Tenn. — where she grew up — achieve educational success, to funding COVID vaccine research, Parton’s philanthropic efforts, like her career, were wide-ranging.

“I’m kind of addicted to the feeling of giving,” the country star told PEOPLE in 2021 for a People of the Year cover story. “Knowing that I’m doing something good for someone else.”

The following year, she was recognized with the prestigious Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy for her decades of charitable efforts, which also include her foundation’s Imagination Library, a monthly book gifting program for children under five.

“I’m proud of the Imagination Library as much as anything I’ve ever done in my life,” Parton told PEOPLE while receiving the award in 2022. The same night, the country icon also shared how she finds causes to support, revealing that she has a team of staffers to help out in between her other work. She also said she followed her heart.

“I always want to do things that I can be proud to talk about, things that I believe in,” Parton told PEOPLE at the time. “I cannot be a hypocrite and just say I’m going to donate this money for a tax write-off. I’d really like for it to mean something to me — something I can take pride in.”

So after spending a week exploring her music, I came up with these seven songs which I think capture various aspects of her body of work.  First, let’s go with one of her first hits, “Jolene” of 1973.

 

 

The intensity of expression is captured in the ever increasing desperation in the singer’s voice with each successive “Jolene.”  Dolly makes this song with her articulation, and it feels so honest.  I also love the interweave of three acoustic guitars. 

Even before “Jolene” was “Coat of Many Colors” (1971) which combines her story of growing up in poverty with nostalgic family love rooted in Biblical values.

 


Much later in 2001 she wrote and recorded “Little Sparrow.”  She was a great performer, so I’m going to select a live rendition to show off her voice and showmanship.

 


Of course, the little sparrow, who feels no pain, contrasts with singer.  This is wonderful songwriting. 

“9 to 5” (1980) is probably her most well-known song, and she captures perfectly a woman’s hardship in a male dominated work world.

 


The video uses excerpts from the movie and hopefully also captures her foray into movie acting.

From 1975, Doly wrote “The Bargain Store” for the album by that name.  Yes, this song is country, but there is such a folk song element to it.  It crosses genres.

 


Again such great songwriting.  A hurt, perhaps emotionally damaged woman, compares herself to a store of reduced priced items.  The song strives to be hopeful but the tension of the passed hurt belies the hope.

A brighter and more joyous song is the 1974, “Love is Like a Butterfly,” where Dolly makes another comparative leap.

 


And I love her articulation in that song as she flutters from word to word.  That’s two minutes and twenty-five seconds of perfection!

Finally I want to capture Doly’s faith as expressed in song.  Christianity Today also wrote on her passing and covered religious side.  Here’s an excerpt.

She wove religious themes and imagery into her songs and, like many other country artists, frequently recorded and performed covers of sacred songs. Her 1971 hit, “Coat of Many Colors,” blends her story of growing up in poverty with the biblical story of Joseph. One of her first original songs, “Letter to Heaven,” is written as a child’s petition to God after the death of her mother. Her 1994 album Heartsongs: Live from Home includes a cover of “What a Friend We Have in Jesus,” and Precious Memories (1999) features an array of familiar hymns like “In the Garden,” “Amazing Grace,” and “Power in the Blood.”

The article quotes from Dolly’s autobiography.

One day as I prayed in earnest, I broke through some sort of spirit wall and found God,” Dolly Parton wrote in her 1994 autobiography. “Not as a chastising, bombastic bully but as a friend I could talk to on a one-to-one basis. He is our father, after all.”

They also quote her as to why she doesn’t belong to an organized church. 

Parton described herself as “very spiritual” but not religious. She grew up going to the Pentecostal church where her grandfather preached, but said that after being shamed by fellow churchgoers for the way she dressed, she chose to part ways with organized Christianity.

Still, I find her faith sincere.  Let’s end her retrospective with “When Jesus Comes Calling For Me.”

 



When I was a child I recall an old man everybody loved old Zeke

(He was all alone, his family was gone one day he said to me)

I'm just sittin' here thinkin' about Jesus, rockin' as my old chair creaks

Some glad day I'll fly away when Jesus comes calling for me

It might be today, it might be tomorrow, maybe one day next week

I'll soon be done with trouble and sorrow when he comes calling for me

When Jesus comes calling for me

When I die don't grieve and cry

Lordy, don't feel sorry for me

Oh what a day, what a mighty fine day

When Jesus comes calling for me

When he comes calling for me

 

Somehow I think she had these lyrics on her lips as the Good Lord came calling for her.


Eternal Rest give onto her, Lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon her.
May Dolly Parton rest in peace.
Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment