"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Monday, September 2, 2013

Matthew Monday: Baby Antonio's Baptism


I mentioned I was to be Godparent to my recently born nephew, Antonio. I'll follow up with that personal note within this Matthew Monday post.

 
The baptism went well, and we had a nice little party at a restaurant afterward. The only thing of note that I can mention is that Father Veras's (our pastor performing the baptism) little homily at the baptism quoted the recently published encyclical, Lumen Fidei. Not only did he quote it, but he quoted the very passage I highlighted in one of my posts on the encyclical. 

“Baptism makes us see, then, that faith is not the achievement of isolated individuals; it is not an act which someone can perform on his own, but rather something which must be received by entering into the ecclesial communion which transmits God’s gift. No one baptizes himself, just as no one comes into the world by himself. Baptism is something we receive.”

I thought that was prophetic in a tiny way.  As you can see from the party afterward, the baptism was part of a gathering of friends and family.  We are not isolated individuals.
Well, here are some pictures.  I did say Antonio was one of the prettiest babies I've ever seen, so here you go, judge for yourselves.

Here he is in his mother's lap.




And here he is being carried by the proud Nonna, my mother.

 



Of course Matthew had to give him a kiss.

 



And finally, this is Matthew's space on my blog, so here is Matthew drinking a chocolate milk at the party.  He does look handsome here I must admit, quite the grown little man.

 




By the way, Sunday was Matthew's fourth birthday, and Monday is our Gotcha Day.  More on that next week.



12 comments:

  1. Antonio is absolutely a beautiful baby, and Matthew is growing handsomer by the day! God Bless your mother who looks well and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Matthew! It looks like everyone was having a wonderful time celebrating the baptism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Four already? Boy, did that time fly Manny!

    Happy birthday to a very handsome Matthew.

    Antonio is a real cutey. It looks as if everyone had a good time at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes time3 flies. Thank you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes to Matthew and Antonio.

    Thank you Manny for visiting my Blog and leaving a comment. It's very kind of you.

    God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure and thank you for your nice wishes.

      Delete
  6. With the empathy that I feel at this moment, I must say great pictures and congratulation to all involved.

    I want to say so much about First Communion but I'm simply going to hold my tongue and just take in your friends and family's happiness.

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is some universal, cosmic truth that says one's previously "little" child seems to grow exponentially when a baby comes into the picture, and its visible to all the world. Matthew does indeed have a certain maturity, so-to-speak, that wasn't obvious before. Amazing how that works, ain't it?

    Congrats all around on the recent auspicious occasions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting insight. Only a mother would notice that. Thank you Jan. :)

      Delete
  8. Matthew has left the baby stage and is now even a tweener; someone between toddler and little boy.

    I have a special affection for Matthew and think he's the cat's meow! How handsome he is and how well you dress him. I also know from speaking to him on the telephone once he is a very polite boy. You and your wife have done an excellent job raising this handsome guy.

    Your nephew and now God-son is a beautiful baby. How old is he? I was always under the impression babies were baptized soon after birth, but the photo proves me wrong.

    Your mother is a beautiful woman.

    As a God-father it is my impression that if anything happens to the parents you are the one, along with the God-mother, to make sure the baby is raised in your faith.

    God bless all of you. To be as innocent as these boys are would be wonderful, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jeanette. Matthew turned four last week. I'm going to have a birthday blog for him for tomorrow's blog. Thank you for your comment on my mother as well. She's really getting up there in age.

      Delete