"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Fiftieth Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing


July 20th, 1969.  I do remember that day. I was seven years old and the family was all gathered in front of our black and white TV set with the rabbit ears. It was awesome and made a lasting impression on me. I attribute that to me wanting to be and ultimately becoming a mechanical engineer. Ever see the mission control pictures of the engineers in the white shirts and ties? I wanted to be those guys. Well, first I wanted to be an astronaut, who by the way we’re mostly engineers too, but second those guys.  When I realized I get motion sickness, any dream of being an astronaut vanished.  And while I didn’t work in the space industry, I’ve loved my career as an engineer. 

Here is a nice little documentary, perhaps the best of the various documentaries put out today.




Apollo 11 is probably the greatest engineering achievement in human history. 


No comments:

Post a Comment