"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Sunday, May 15, 2022

Sunday Meditation: A New Heaven and a New Earth

I’m going to take the second reading from today’s Mass readings for meditation.  It’s from the Book of Revelation.

 

Then I, John, saw a new heaven and a new earth.

The former heaven and the former earth had passed away,

and the sea was no more.

I also saw the holy city, a new Jerusalem,

coming down out of heaven from God,

prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

I heard a loud voice from the throne saying,

“Behold, God’s dwelling is with the human race.

He will dwell with them and they will be his people

and God himself will always be with them as their God.

He will wipe every tear from their eyes,

and there shall be no more death or mourning, wailing or pain,

for the old order has passed away.”

 

The One who sat on the throne said,

“Behold, I make all things new.”

        -Rev 21:1-5

 

I don’t think there are enough readings from the Book of Revelation in the lectionary.  The more I understand the Book the more I love it.  I have wanted to read a book especially on it, a Catholic one of course.  Definitely not any of that kooky Protestant complete misinterpretation of a rapture and two comings of Jesus.  Here is a video that goes line by line on the passage I quote above. 

 


I particularly appreciate the Old Testament and other Jewish writings that quoted to show the allusions.  I long for that new heaven and new earth.  Don’t we all?

No comments:

Post a Comment