"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Dante at 700, a Discussion

Oh what a joy to find this in my email inbox from The Sheen Center.  It’s a discussion with three wonderful experts on Dante’s Divine Comedy.  I so need to share this with you.  The Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Center for Thought & Culture is a Catholic center here in New York City that puts out cultural events.  I’ve mentioned a few events here on my blog that I’ve attended at the Sheen Center, though I may not have attributed them properly.  But the Sheen Center is great.  You can check them out here and see any upcoming events if you plan to be in NYC.   

As you probably know since I’ve mentioned it a number of times this year, 2021 is the 700th anniversary of Dante’s death.  I’ve had a number of posts on it, and I wanted to do more.  I still intend to post more; unfortunately they will have to wait until the new year.

So the Sheen Center put together this panel to discuss the Divine Comedy and it was a joy.  It’s a little over an hour, and if you are a Dante aficionado I promise you will enjoy it.  It’s just over an hour long and hosted by film director and film critic, David DiCerto.  The panel consists of Dr. Elizabeth Lev (Art Historian and Author), Prof. Randy Boyagoda (Professor of Literature, University of Toronto and Author), Fr. Paul Pearson (Dante Scholar and Author, Toronto Oratory).  I am familiar with Elizabeth Lev having just finished reading her wonderful How Catholic Art Saved the Faith: The Triumph of Beauty and Truth in Counter-Reformation Art.  I’ll have more on that book in the coming months here on my blog.  I am very impressed with her knowledge of art and now Dante. 



I hope you enjoyed that.  I did!

2 comments:

  1. So nice of you to be this helpful, Manny. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, whoever you are. It sounds like I should know you. If you stop back, leave a name.

      Delete