"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Saturday, April 16, 2022

Faith Filled Friday: Michelangelo’s Pieta

It’s Good Friday evening, perhaps the most solemn evening of the year.  Here are a couple of videos to meditate on Christ’s crucifixion.  First this lovely rendition of Stabat Mater (At the cross her stations keeping) in Latin. 

 


Unfortunately it doesn’t mention the artist.  The voices are to be adored.

Second video is a talk on Michelangelo's Three Pietas by an art/theology historian Amy Giuliano.  It was put on by what I think is a new Catholic organization that promotes the Catholic arts, The Benedict XVI Institute.  I've watched a discussion on literature and I thought it was OK, but this talk on Michelangelo's Three Pieta sculptures blew me away.  I was left speechless.  It's a mix of art, theology, and the artist's biography.  I had no idea there were three Michelangelo pietas.  I'm only familiar with the famous one, which I have a special devotion to.  I was on the zoom of the discussion when it was live.  They have put it out to the public on YouTube.

Now it's not as long as it looks.  The actual talk ends around 52 minutes and the first five minutes is introduction, an opening prayer, and some chatter.  So it's really around 47 minutes long.  So after the 52 minutes it was open for questions, and I stayed on for about 10-15 minutes but I didn't find that interesting enough and I had other things to do.  I see it lasted over an hour after the presentation.  So start at the five minute mark and don't worry about the Q&A unless you really want to listen.

I hope you find it as interesting as I did.  



Have a blessed Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday.  One more video.




No comments:

Post a Comment