"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Monday, April 22, 2013

Matthew Monday: Matthew Proposes Marriage

We had to go to a wedding in Pittsburgh, and we spent the weekend there.  Wed had two double beds in the room for the three of us, and we expected Matthew and his mother to sleep in one and I would get the other.  After all my wife makes a snide comment to Matthew that he wouldn't be able to sleep with Daddy's snoring.  Nonetheless Matthew chose to sleep with me.  After the lights were out and I had turned over with my back to him, Matthew pulls me over and whispers, "Daddy I want to tell you a secret."  I kind of half turn back and said, "What?"

He climbed over my shoulder to face me.  "I want to tell you that we're friends," he whispered.

"Oh, thank you.  Why did you tell me?"

"Because we're going to have adventures together." 

"OK," I whispered back.  I thought that was a neat male bonding moment.

Next day when he kind of understood what marriage means, he tells his mother rather dramatically that he's "going to marry" her.  "You are?" his mother asks.  "Then you better go out and buy me a ring as soon as you can." 

Pulling out a quarter, Matthew says, "OK.  Is this enough?"


Later that night, the night of the wedding we were there to attend, the baby sitter we arranged to take care of Matthew showed up.  She was a sweet young lady who was a friend of the bride's family, and she apparently had a nice way with children.  Matthew took to her immediately.  She baby sat from four-thirty to ten-thirty at the hotel room.  When we got back to the room, Matthew had gotten Ellen (her name) to sit with him in his "man-cave."  He had taken one of the decorative spreads from the bed and placed it over a table so that it formed a sort of cave (he's done this at home) and placed his stuffed animals in there and invited her in...lol.  They had read nursery rhymes and stories and played with alphabet cards.  He also made her race back and forth up the length of the room with him.  What a little lady's man.  When we asked him if he had a good time, he said, "I'm going to marry Ellen." 

So there you go.  From male bonding to marrying his mother to dumping his parents for a cute chick all within 24 hours.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Manny, how sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me thinks you're going to have your hands full with this young man and the ladies some day Manny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it Joyce. :) Thanks to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH Manny those stories are wonderful. Hold on to that little gem very very tightly. They grow up far too quickly. Thanks for sharing.
    Betsy (Betz)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betz! How nice of you to stop by. Please feel free to do so often. :)

      Delete