"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Monday, October 13, 2014

Matthew Monday: Matthew and Rosie

We’ve now had Rosie one week and while she’s sweet little pup, she is a pup and nipping at all of us.  My wife and I can handle it.  We’re used to it, but I’m afraid Matthew doesn’t know how to handle her.  Rosie does seem to be extremely mouthy.  It’s certainly a retriever trait, but I don’t recall my other retriever pups being this mouthy.   Perhaps memory is vague and this is no different. 

But what’s happening with Matthew is that when Rosie starts nipping at his legs and feet, he just stands there paralyzed and starts to cry and whine.  For the most part, she’s not nipping hard, but I can see how a little child gets intimidated.  And Rosie has identified Matthew with play.  He runs and she chases and for her, nipping is part of play.  She’s not being vicious, but what I’m afraid of is that Rosie gets it into her mind that she’s the alpha over Matthew, and that sticks as she matures.  That could lead to a problem.  Matthew is taking it in stride.  He keeps going over to her to play. 

Here are some pictures.  The first two you can see Rosie being aggressive. 





But here are some better times too.





4 comments:

  1. Maybe you could have Matthew take her to doggie training at Pet Smart, then maybe she would think of him as being dominate. It might boost his confidence too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the pet training I've come across have all had six months as a min age for the pup. Any younger and they don't learn anything. But once we get Rosie used to a leash, it's a good idea to have Matthew take control. Good thought Kathy.

      Delete
  2. They are so adorable!
    Maybe watch some Dog Whisperer or go on Cesar Millan's website,
    I think you're right that Rosie has to learn to be submissive around all of you, but especially Matthew. Dogs can even learn to be submissive around babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know he had a website. I just searched and looked through it. There's nothing free there. You have to pay for any of his information. Plus I have plenty of books and stuff from my previous dogs. Thanks Kelly.

      Delete