"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Sunday, May 12, 2024

Sunday Meditation: The Prayer for Unity and Truth

For those of us who celebrated Thursday as the Solemnity of the Accession, we get an additional set of readings in the lectionary.  Actually we get the appropriate set of readings.  It’s those who have their Ascension oddly displaced that lose out on a set of readings.  And how appropriate that today Christ prays for us!  Think about this.  Thursday Christ ascended.  The disciples locked themselves in the upper room in fear and prayed.  They prayed for nine days, the very first novena, until Pentecost Sunday when the Holy Spirit came down upon them.  And so, today, while we are locked in prayer, Jesus prays along with us.

 

Lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed saying:

“Holy Father, keep them in your name that you have given me,

so that they may be one just as we are one.

When I was with them I protected them in your name that you gave me,

and I guarded them, and none of them was lost

except the son of destruction,

in order that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

But now I am coming to you.

I speak this in the world

so that they may share my joy completely.

I gave them your word, and the world hated them,

because they do not belong to the world

any more than I belong to the world.

I do not ask that you take them out of the world

but that you keep them from the evil one.

They do not belong to the world

any more than I belong to the world.

Consecrate them in the truth. Your word is truth.

As you sent me into the world,

so I sent them into the world.

And I consecrate myself for them,

so that they also may be consecrated in truth.”

~Jn 17:11-19


What Jesus prayed for was unity and Truth.  Jeff Cavins explains the passage.

 


I also thought highly of Fr. Ebuka Immanuel Polycarp’s reflection. 

 


Have you started your Pentecost Novena?  You know, I forgot to start on Thursday, but I will start now.  I think one can make up the days of a Novena if you start late or miss.  I do it all the time.

 

Sunday Meditation: “I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth.”

 

Today happens to also be Mother’s Day, at least in the United States, if not elsewhere.  There is a classic Italian song simply called, Mama, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamma_(song) which is so appropriate for today.  Here is Luciano Pavarotti’s rendition.

 


Here is a rough English translation which doesn’t do the song any justice.

 

Mamma  (English translation)

 

Mamma 

Mamma I am very happy

because I am returning to you

my song is telling you

that it is the most beautiful day for me

Mamma I am very happy

why should we live apart?

 

Mamma, only for you

my song flies

Mamma, you will stay with me

you'll not be alone anymore

how much I love you

these words of love

that my heart is whispering to you

maybe are not longer used

 

Mamma, but my most beautiful song is you

you are my life

and for the rest of my life I'll never leave you again

 

I can feel your tired hand

looking for my golden curls

I can hear, and your voice is a whisper

the lullaby of back then

today, your white head

I want to hold tight to my heart.


To all the Mothers who may read this, Happy Mother’s Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment