"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Tuesday, August 24, 2021

In Memoriam: Charlie Watts

As some of you may know, I was a huge fan of the Rolling Stones.  They were part of my adultescence and beyond.  Sad day today.  Their great drummer, Charlie Watts, passed away and with it part of my youth.  The Stones are not known for being reserved, but not Charlie.  He did not dress rock-n-roll outrageous.  He wore suits, very much like a British gentleman.  He was married to the same woman his whole life.  Some might disagree, but I consider him among the greatest drummers of rock music.  His greatness I think is in his wonderful timing and subtle shifts.

First a remembrance.



I’m just going embed a few Stones songs where I think Charlie excelled.  Here’s one mentioned in that remembrance, Hang Fire. Just listen to the little shifts while still keeping the beat.

 


Honkey Tonk Women.  Charlie makes this song. 



Here’s a rocker, When the Whip Comes Down.  Listen to how he with his fills and shifts makes the song accelerate.



But frankly Charlie best work in my opinion was on slow tempo ballads.  His little subtleties really accentuate the song.  Listen to Angie.  Wait for the drums to come in on the second verse, at about the 47 second mark, and then how he keeps adding pieces to the drumming, high hat, flourishes, all without ever drawing attention to himself.  It makes the song.


 

Finally the one song I always think of when I think of Charlie is Get Off My Cloud.  I just love those rapid fire flourishes.

 


Some live Charlie with an interview explaining his playing.


 

Charlie interviewed on 60 Minutes,


Eternal rest in peace, Charlie Watts.  You have given me immense pleasure over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment