"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Saturday, March 7, 2020

2020 Plans


The first quarter is almost over and I haven’t even laid out my reading plans for the year.  Let me quickly outline them.

Like last year I’m going to remain humble and not get too wrapped up in plans I cannot fulfill.  The long term read selected for the Catholic Thought Book Club is St. Augustine’s City of God.  A long term read is one in which we select a large book, one that will be too tiresome in one straight through read, break it up into manageable parts, read a part, go on to other reads, return to that read for another part, and repeat that until it is finished.  We have already read the first quarter of City of God, chapters one through five.



Our next read will be St, Frances de Sales’ Introduction to the Devout Life.  Beyond that, I have no idea what will be nominated and selected.  All I can estimate is that the book club will read at least another three books before the year is out.

My parish book club is reading Bishop Robert Barron’s Catholicism.  We will finish that up in the spring and we will select another book for the fall.

I would like to read St. Catherine of Siena’s Catholic classic, The Dialogue.  I am currently reading and should finish this year, The Divine Office for Dodos by Madeline Pecora Nugent to fully understand how to pray the Divine Office.


The secular books I plan to read will be the fourth book of Ford Madox Ford’s Last Post, which is the fourth book from his tetralogy, Parade’s End.  I have read the other three works, one book per year.  I will finally complete the series.  I plan to read Stendhal’s novel The Red and the Black and D.H. Lawrence’s novella.  I have started and plan to complete Rod Dreher’s personal memoir, How Dante Can Save Your Life: The Life-Changing Wisdom of History's Greatest Poem. 



I plan to continue to read through the Bible.  The Old Testament books up next are Baruch, Ezekiel, and Daniel.  From the New Testament all I have left is Revelation.  I plan to read Ezekiel, Daniel and Revelation in both the King James Version (KJV) and the Revised Standard Version (RSV) translations.  The Book of Baruch is not included in Protestant Bibles.  To supplement my understanding of Revelations, I plan to read Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture: Revelation by Peter S. Williamson.



I will continue to try to read two short works per month, and read the next novel in C.S. Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia series, Prince Caspian.


No comments:

Post a Comment