"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Sunday, January 27, 2019

My 2019 Plans

My plans for this year will be humble, not because I don’t plan to read much but I don’t plan to plan much.

The reads I know I’m reading include the last canticle of Dante’s Divine Comedy, his journey through heave, Paradisio.  And as last year with Inferno and Purgatorio, I will be reading two different translations, the Hollander and Hollander husband and wife team (the translation I consider the best) and the Anthony Esolen, which is also very good.  I’m reading two translations to absorb it better and bounce one off the other.  We are reading Paradisio for the Catholic Thought Book Club at Goodreads.  By the way, the book club would love to have you, so come on over.  ;)

Once we are done with Dante, the book club’s next read will be The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à Kempis.  This will be a re-read for me and I know I posted my thoughts here at my blog several years ago when I first read it.  I wonder if my thoughts on it will change.

For my parish Bible study—they just call it that, but as you can see we read other works—we are reading Mike Aqulina’s The Fathers of the Church: An Introduction to the First Christian Teachers.  It’s a survey book of most of the church fathers.

Also on the read list will be the next novels in a series I’ve been reading through.  One series is Ford Madox Ford’s tetralogy, Parade’s End, centered on the main character, Christopher Tietjens, and his World War I experiences.  I am up to the last novel of the series, Last Post.  There is also the final volume of Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables.  The huge epic is made up of five volumes in which I treat each volume as a novel.  The fifth volume is called, “Jean Valjean.”  I’ll be continuing in the C. S. Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia series.  I’m up to the third book when considered chronologically, The Horse and His Boy





Of course I’m continuing my read through the Bible.  I’m up to the Book of Jeremiah and the Book of Lamentations in the Old Testament, and all the short letters in the New Testament: Letter of James, First and Second Letters of Peter, First, Second, and Third Letters of John, and the Letter of Jude.  As usual I will be reading both the KJV and NIV translations.

I have to pick up on the series of short stories I have lapsed in keeping the last few years.  I’ve been trying to go through the complete short stories of Ernest Hemingway, Vladimir Nabokov, and Evelyn Waugh.  And I’ll try to sporadically and randomly add short stories as they pique my interest.  I doubt I can get back to two per month, but I’ll do the best I can.

And that’s it as far as plans.  I’ve created two groups of books here below, books “On Pause” and a books “Wish List.” I’m tired of just saying I will eventually read books I haven’t completed.  So now I will list those books as “on pause.”  They are books I’ve started but have stopped reading and that I still want to finish.  And then there is a wish list of books that I may squeeze in this year if the opportunity and time allows.  You can see what is on both lists.

Perhaps some other book jumps up at me creaming to be read—that happens all the time—and I will alter my plans.  I know I will also be reading a couple of more books for the Catholic Thought Book Club, we just don’t know what they are yet.  They have not been voted on.

With that, Happy belated New Year and see you at the library.  ;)



Completed First Quarter:

“The Background,” a short story by Saki (H. H. Munro).
“How to Mark a Book,” an essay by Mortimer J. Adler.


Currently Reading:
Paradisio, 3rd part of the epic poem, The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri, translated and annotated by Robert and Jean Hollander.
Paradisio, 3rd part of the epic poem, The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri, translated and annotated by Anthony Esolen.
The Fathers of the Church: An Introduction to the First Christian Teachers, 3rd Edition, a non-fiction work by Mike Aquilina.
"Why Bugsy Siegel Was a Friend of Mine," a short story by James Lee Burke. 


Upcoming Plans:
Book of Jeremiah, a book of the Old Testament, KJV Translation.
Book of Jeremiah, a book of the Old Testament, NIV Translation.
“The Light of the World,” a short story by Ernest Hemingway.
“God Rest You Merry Gentleman,” a short story by Ernest Hemingway.
“The Sea Change,” a short story by Ernest Hemingway.
“A Matter of Chance,” a short story by Vladimir Nabokov.
The Imitation of Christ, a non-fiction devotional by Thomas à Kempis.
“The Manager of ‘The Kremlin,’” a short story by Evelyn Waugh.


On Pause:
Julius Caesar: Life of a Colossus, a biography by Adrian Goldsworthy.
The Virgin and the Gipsy, a short novel by D. H. Lawrence.
Hildegard of Bingen: Selected Writings, a collection translated and edited by Mark Atherton.
Fra Angelico (Metropolitan Museum of Art Series), a non-fiction work on art by Laurence Kanter, Pia Palladino, and others.
The Life of Saint Dominic, a biography by Augusta Theodosia Drane.



Wish List:
Think Like A Cat, a non-fiction help book by Johnson-Bennett.
The Remains of the Day, a novel by Kazuo Ishiguro.
The Red and the Black, a novel by Stendhal (Marie-Henri Beyle).
Notes From Underground, a novella by Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Crazy in Berlin, a novel by Thomas Berger.
The Annotated Waste Land with Eliot’s Contemporary Prose a book of poetry and essays by T.S. Eliot, Lawrence Rainey (ed).
Henry VI, Part 2, a play by William Shakespeare.
Submission, a novel by Michel Houellebecq.



2 comments:

  1. Wow ... you really have a long list to read ... Dante ... Thomas à Kempis ... Hugo. They are showing a series of Les Miserable on TV. It is so long and complicated with new characters all along. I am viewing with the subtitles on so I can say I have read it all.

    Happy reading.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete