"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Music Tuesday: The Angel Gabriel From Heaven Came

Yes, I am still alive.  Between being busy, a son that stays up later, my new computer going down again (lucky I still have the old), a dog that requires her energy burned off with constant walks, and world and national events that have glued me to the television, both my reading and my blogging have suffered.  All I can say is our country needs prayers fast.  And leadership, but we haven’t had leadership for quite a while now. 

Since today is the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin and in the midst of Advent, the perfect song which honors both is this wonderful old hymn, “The Angel Gabriel from Heaven Came” or sometimes just called “Gabriel’s Message.”  

Sting, the ex lead singer of the Police has a wonderful version which I think brought back the popularity of the song to modern audiences recorded from some 30 years ago, but I want to present another version.  I love the arrangement by this band I had not heard of, the Good Shepherd Band.




Here are the wonderful lyrics:

  1. The angel Gabriel from heaven came
    His wings as drifted snow his eyes as flame
    "All hail" said he "thou lowly maiden Mary,
    Most highly favored lady," Gloria!
  2. "For know a blessed mother thou shalt be,
    All generations laud and honor thee,
    Thy Son shall be Emanuel, by seers foretold
    Most highly favored lady," Gloria!
  3. Then gentle Mary meekly bowed her head
    "To me be as it pleaseth God," she said,
    "My soul shall laud and magnify his holy name."
    Most highly favored lady. Gloria!
  4. Of her, Emanuel, the Christ was born
    In Bethlehem, all on a Christmas morn
    And Christian folk throughout the world will ever say:
    "Most highly favored lady," Gloria!

I love everything about this song.  


2 comments:

  1. Praying as requested, Manny. Prayers are needed urgently for Peace throughout the world.

    Thank you for introducing us to the Good Shepherd's Band. I have advertised them on my Google+ site, and also put their songs as background on my Blog. Visit me to check them out.

    Also, to read a long lost letter, only now found, from St Paul.

    God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I din't know the Good Shepherd Band were well known. I had just discovered them on youtube as I went searching for a version of this song. It's a wonderful rendition. I'll come over and check them out at your blog.

      Delete