"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Matthew Monday: First Test

Matthew is in first grade now.  I don't know if it's common core or what but first grade is a lot harder than when I went.  It's only been a month, and he gets at least one test a week.  So far he's been getting a weekly spelling test.  He's had at least one math test that remember, a religion test (he goes to St. Rita's Catholic School), and a science test.  He's done well.  Here is his very first test he's ever taken, a spelling test.



He had one little error.  He wrote the "d" for dog backwards, but since bog was not one of the words to spell the teacher, Mrs. Epstein, realized what he meant and did not subtract points.  He still got a 100% and a sticker.  Matthew is not dyslexic but he does confuse b's and d's and 9's and p's.

I'm also surprised at how good his penmanship is.  He's normally not that neat when he writes at home.  Not sure what the picture at the bottom was meant to be, but it's cute.  I don't remember getting to draw on my spelling tests.  Here he is holding up his test.


4 comments:

  1. Good Job! Keep it up. Ahhhh, Common Core- I hope they are not teaching that. I've seen examples and cannot figure out why they would change something that works well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew is really lucky to have you as a dad... Mom and/or dad didn't even finished first grade so I didn't get too much help and my older siblings got even less help... Believe "IT" or not, I still recall being taken from grade one and placed next to my oldest brother who was in grade 3 ... long story short... they meant well but I didn't play their game of trying to embarrass my older brother....

    Hey Manny, on occasions I still confuse my b's and d's... Does that mean that I'm dyslexic?

    I better stop now before "I" start writing about our Canadian Blue Jays who are now leading 6 to 3....

    WHO'S LAUGHING?

    Keep praying for me.

    God Bless you and yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor! You're the stealth reader of my blog. Your comments don't show up in my email. I'm still trying to figure out how that happens.

      Thank you for your kind words. My parents didn't have much more than a grade school education, but my father did have the ability to do complicated arithmetic equations in his head, and he did check my math homework growing up. I credit those nightly father/son review of my math as me becoming an engineer.

      No you're not dyslexic.

      Oh you're a Blue Jays fan. Yikes. I have to say they seem to get into fights with every team in the league, including my Baltimore Orioles. The words I would use for Jose Bautista would not be Christian approved. ;)

      God bless you my friend. It's always a pleasure to have you stop by.

      Delete