"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Friday, March 20, 2015

Faith Filled Friday: Glory Be

I just love this prayer.  So simple.



Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.  Amen



Stacy Trasancos, who writes a wonderful blog on science and her Catholic faith (She has a PhD in chemistry and a Master's in theology.), referred to the Glory Be when she was contemplating the stars.  Here are the first two paragraphs.

The other night, I was frustrated with my critics, frustrated with my children, and frustrated with my disobedient German shepherds who take my donning of a coat to mean the dawning of a walk, even near midnight.  I was grateful to be pulled outside though. The sky was clear beyond bits of late snow, one of those spirity nights when the winds of impending Spring wipe away the clouds, and the starlight casts shadows. “My God,” I prayed, “the stars are so bright!
When you understand something about matter at the atomic level, both starlight and snowflakes can induce that embarrassing human act called sudden-unabashed-weeping. Those dots of light are actually massive spheres of plasma, some of them billions of years old, radiating energy when hydrogen nuclei fuse to become helium and helium becomes heavier elements. The light I saw traveled for years to reach my eyes. And the snowflakes? Each one’s beauty is scripted by the union of chaos and determinism, unique in its trajectory through other matter and changes in temperature and pressure, but patterned at consistent angles by the polarity and bond of every water molecule. They melted on my face, never to be seen. Under such an interactive firmament, it’s hard to feel unappreciated. Goodness, I felt downright glorious.
 Who says faith and science are compatible?  How wrong they are.  You should read the entire post, here.


1 comment: