"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Book Excerpt: Rome and Jerusalem: The Clash of Ancient Civilizations by Martin Goodman


One of the regular features I intend for my blog is to post an excerpt or two from something I’m currently reading or have read and is on my mind for some reason.  This will be the first excerpt.

Now I usually juggle three or more reads at the same time.  I am not a fast reader.  I usually like to savor sentences and paragraphs, so I tend to slow down and admire how the writer may have just phrased or embellished or develops a moment or a passage.  Slow reading means I tend to be with a work for a while, and in order to not get bored with it I need to pick something else up.  I guess it soothes some latent attention deficit disorder that I might have.

One of the works I’m currently reading is a history of the relationship between ancient Rome and ancient Jerusalem.  Let me add that I am an ancient Roman history buff.  I have read a bit on the subject, and while I’m certainly no expert, I would have to say I’m more knowledgeable than the average person.  I find ancient Roman history—from the Republic to its fall to the early empire to the height of the majestic years of the empire to the crises years to the regrouping of the fourth century and then its final fall in the west.  It’s over eleven hundred years from 753 BC to 476 CE filled with many fascinating figures. 

This is the work I’m reading. 



Rome and Jerusalem: The Clash of Ancient Civilizations, by Martin Goodman, Vintage Books, New York, 2007.


The book examines the cultural, political, and religious conflicts that ultimately led up to the destruction of the Temple in 70 CE, and the consequences for the Roman and Jewish cultures afterward.  So not only do I get to learn more about the ancient Romans, not only do I get to learn about the great Jewish culture of the time, I get to understand the events and circumstances surrounding Jesus, the apostles, and the church fathers of the first century CE.

The author seems particularly qualified to write on the two cultures.  Here’s an inside the cover bio blip: 

Martin Goodman has edited both the Journal of Roman Studies and the Journal of Jewish Studies.  He has taught Roman history at Birmingham and Oxford Universities, and is currently Professor of Jewish Studies at Oxford.  A Fellow of Wolfson College, Oxford, and of the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies, he was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 1996.  He is editor of The Oxford Handbook of Jewish Studies, which was awarded a National Jewish Book Award for Scholarship in 2002.  He lives with his family in Birmingham, England.
 
I can't quite judge the work as a whole yet.  I'm about a quarter of the way in.  But the prose is clean and clear, the book well organized, and the claims well substantiated. The author seems to really focus on minute details and then expand them to flesh out their total significance.  While the author doesn't offer suspenseful narration, it's quite convincing as a scholarly work that engages those interested in that history.


I offer this excerpt from a section describing the general tolerance of Roman authority to local customs of the subjugated cultures.


In general, the Romans were happy to allow their provincial subjects to continue to live in their idiosyncratic ways. The tolerance of the state in allowing provincials to retain non-Roman lifestyles is all the more striking when the Romans knew well the practical advantages which would accrue to the state from cultural change. The historian Tacitus claimed that his father-in-law Agricola spent the winter of 78-9 CE during his governorship of Britain attempting “to induce a people, hitherto scattered, uncivilized and therefore prone to fight, to grow pleasurably inured to peace and ease.” This was achieved, according to Tacitus, by encouraging the building of temples, marketplaces and large houses, and by promoting the Latin language and wearing the toga, leading on to “the amenities that make vice agreeable,” such as baths and banquets. As has long been noted, so conscious an imposition of Roman culture by a single governor in so short a space of time could not possibly work, and Tacitus is not in this instance to be trusted. Nevertheless, a long-term policy along the lines ascribed to Agricola would have been perfectly sensible and feasible, and if urbanization in Roman Britain was slow and patchy over the first two centuries CE, as can be amply demonstrated from the archaeological evidence from numerous sites, this was the result of the policy not being followed even though Romans knew it might have worked. In other words, the normal attitude of the state to the provincials was laissez-faire.


But laissez-faire did not imply that in the eyes of Romans all cultures were equally valuable. Romans were not racially prejudiced in the sense of believing some peoples were inherently inferior, but they had a clear notion of the barbarian as the opposite to civilized society and outside bounds of true humanity. The whole concept of the barbarian, borrowed from its original Greek use where it denoted those who spoke languages other than Greek (thus, ironically, including the Latin-speaking Romans), provided a useful mechanism to distance the acceptable culture of the civilized metropolis from its implied antithesis. Barbarians could occasionally be held up for admiration by the cynic deploring the decline in Roman morals; hence the praise of aspects of simple German society in the Germania of Tacitus. But more often the barbarian was seen as benighted, rescuable (if at all) only by incorporation into the civilized world of Rome.

 -pp 148-9

10 comments:

  1. That does seem really interesting, and I am usually not a reader of straight history. I need mine spoon-fed in story form, lol. But there is a little human element stuff going on there. And the author has the same last name as my married daughter, so he can't be all bad! :)

    Coincidentally, the Halprin book is set partly in Rome and you may enjoy his descriptions, I know I did. Makes me want to go there even more!

    Another really great read is The Lord by Romano Guardini. It's dense, like Augustine, but it's a powerhouse of spirituality. Seeing the kind of stuff you read, you can probably handle it. I read Augustine in tiny bites, as well as this book, but you may want to add it to your list for someday. I bought it used from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an accidental delete. I'm sorry. I was trying to learn how to edit comments if the need arises and I deleted this. If anyone knows how to retrieve a deleted comment. please let me know.

      Delete
    2. Manny, do you receive your comments to your email? There should be a setting to do that, I know mine come to my email. If so, then you have a copy of all your comments there. And you can put them back up on your blog like this:
      http://howbloggerto.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-recover-delete-comment.html

      Delete
    3. I do! I didn't think of that. In the words of my son, "you're a genius!" Let me go try.

      Delete
    4. This is the deleted comment"

      "I'll have to consider the Guardini. I did not know that about the Helprin book. I think I'll get to that book right after Easter. I'm not sure if you would like Rome and Jerusalem. You might, but you would really have to be interested in the history of that period."

      Delete
    5. Hah, can I have that statement for the record? My kids are at the point where I am definitely no genius.

      Delete
  3. Off topic..I am trying to comment under the new format you are now offering.

    Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue - It worked! That is great. I was going to send you an email that I changed the comments settings. I had no idsea I haqd choices to make there. I'm still learning about these things...lol. Looking forward to you commenting in the future!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Manny.

      I look forward to continued reading and now joining in the discussion.

      Delete