"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Monday, May 6, 2013

Matthew Monday: Our Trip to Photo the Freedom Tower

We've had beautiful weather lately.  Spring is my favorite season, and when we get that perfect week of 68 degree sunshiny weather, then it's an occasion to get out of the house.  My wife had plans to have lunch with her friend, a sort of girl's afternoon out.  I got Matthew all day, and so we embarked on an afternoon boy's adventure. 

Last week, the Freedom Tower (replacing the collapsed Twin Towers) that has slowly been going up this past year had it's spire put on, reaching it's final height.  I wanted to get some photos of it.  So on such a beautiful spring day I took my little buddy on a bus ride to the Staten Island Ferry, a ferry ride over to lower Manhattan, and a walk through Battery Park to the Freedom Tower. 

So how about a couple of pictures of the Freedom Tower, spire on top but still incomplete, and some pictures of Matthew.




 
This one is from the ferry as it approaches Manhattan.

.
 
This one is from a few blocks down, where you can get an angle of the entire building from ground to peak. You can still see a couple of cranes at the top



 
And here's what Matthew really wanted from the adventure, an ice cream cone. 
 

 
And he wanted to chase the pigeons around...lol.

 
And a nice photo with the Statue of Liberty in the background.  He was also fascinated with the fishing pole there on the side.
 
Finally Daddy and son.

8 comments:

  1. What a nice memory! It is so nice to see the bond between you two, when you share these days out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Matthew had another fun day with Daddy!

    Thanks for sharing the nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best adventures ALWAYS include ice-cream! Smart little boy, and adorable. He's really growing quickly Manny you have every reason to be proud of him. I heard yesterday that they want to charge admission to the Ground Zero memorial and that the families of the victims who died there are really upset about it. I wonder how it will turn out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that too on Ground Zero. I have no idea how it will turn out.

      Delete
  4. Oh ice cream is always the perfect accompaniment to an outing! Pigeon chasing makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, thank you all. Life is certainly a symphony now that I have Matthew. What a gift. Thank you God!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post! it reminded me of how much fun I had when my son was a little boy...I felt like a child myself, enjoying life in a special way, marveling at things together with him. And taking pictures!

    ReplyDelete