"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Monday, May 27, 2013

Matthew Monday: Memorial Day Activities

I waited until late to post a Matthew Monday knowing I would have some pictures after today's activities.  We had a nice day.  I took Matthew to the Staten Island Memorial Day Parade.  The weather was absolutely beautiful today here.  It was his first parade and though I described what a parade was, he didn't really have a clue.  In fact he initially didn't even want to go.  He's become a little skittish about going into crowds.  I hope it's just a phase.  Somehow after my initial huff and go-off-and-play-in-your-room-by-yourself reaction to his not wanting to go, we finally got him to say yes.  Actually when I handed him two flags to wave he got excited.  Here he is waving the flags on our way to the parade street after parking the car.


In the end he was only so-so on the parade.  He liked the music when a band came by, liked the army vehicles, liked when someone actually waved directly to him, but otherwise he wasn't overwhelmed.  The band and music was most definitely his favorite.  He could pick out all the instruments.  I guess just watching people walking up a street isn't all that exciting when you don't really understand the context.  Here's a picture as some Marine Corp (I think) pass by.




The other big thing we did today was take out his Fire and Rescue Pedal Wagon.  He's had this wagon since his first Christmas here, two and a half years ago, given to him by his Godparents.  I've let him pedal on the upstairs floor since I can get a clear path from his room across the hall to our master bedroom.  He's learned to steer pretty well.  I've been reluctant to bring it out because we live on a fairly steep hill and have not felt comfortable.  I had to hold the wagon back as we went down hill, but once we turned the corner the block is much more level, and so I let him go there on his own.  Here are some pictures.



 
 
 
 

He was one tired puppy this evening. :)

5 comments:

  1. Nice to see and read that he's got a good loving Christian family taking great care of him.

    A little bit of heaven for him that he'll hopefully recall when he gets older.

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun day! I especially like the flag photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "He was one tired puppy this evening."

    Bet Dad was too!

    Looks like you had a terrific day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your posts about your son, they remind me of my son's childhood and of all the fun we had together. Precious times! And he's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all. We did have a very good day. :)

    ReplyDelete