"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Literature in the News: Flannery O’Connor Postage Stamp

This is really cool.  From Linn’s Stamp News: 

The newest stamp in the United States Postal Service's Literary Arts commemorative series will honor author Flannery O'Connor. The nondenominated (93¢) 3-ounce rate stamp will be issued June 5 during the Napex stamp show in McLean, Va.

Information about the stamp was first revealed May 18 during a teleconference hosted by Mary-Anne Penner, the new acting Stamp Services director for the USPS.

The design of the stamp shows a portrait of O'Connor digitally created by Sam Weber, based on a photograph. In the background are images of peacock feathers, a nod to O'Connor's fondness for the exotic birds that were referenced in her writings, and which she raised on the Georgia farm where she lived.

I guess there is a news service dedicated to stamps.  It’s not a standard postage so I hope my local post office sells them.  I’d like a couple, or maybe a whole page of stamps that I can frame.  It's due to come out tomorrow.  The stamp looks pretty cool.  What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment