"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Sunday, March 24, 2013

2013 Reading List: Update #1

As you can see I've completed a couple of short stories. a book of the Old Testament, and the biography of St. Catherine of Siena since I listed my progress.  I've now pushed a couple of works into the Currently Being Read catagory, though I haven't started the Mark Helprin novel yet; I'm about to start.  I've also expanded the Upcoming plans.  The Mark Helprin novel is very long, so I'm going to use a lot of the time while reading it to write up posts on some of the completed works.  I've still have more to say about Catherine of Siena; I finally found a Poe short story I liked; Hemingway's "In Another Country" was outstanding, and while the First Book of Chronicles might be the most boring book of the bible, it had a great last two chapters.  I might post something on each.  And I have not forgotten that I promised Sue I would give my thoughts on Tolstoy's The Cossacks.  If anyone has an interest in any of the works I've read, let me know; I'll definitely post something on them.



Completed:


“A Star Trap,” a short story by Bram Stoker.

“Grandfather and Grandson,” a short story by Isaac Bashevis Singer. 

The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, a novel by G.K. Chesterton.

“Feathers,” a short story by Raymond Carver.

The Cossacks, a novel by Leo Tolstoy.

“In Another Country,” a short story by Earnest Hemingway.

First Book of Chronicles, a book of the Old Testament, KJV.

Catherine of Siena, a biography by Sigrid Undset.

“The Masque of Red Death,” a short story by Edgar Allan Poe.


Currently Being Read:


Rome and Jerusalem: The Clash of Ancient Civilizations, a non-fiction history by Martin Goodman.

Les Misérables, a novel by Victor Hugo.

“The Lovely Lady,” a short story by D.H. Lawrence.

Imagist Poetry: An Anthology, a collection of poetry edited by Bob Blaisdell.

“William Wilson,” a short story by Edgar Allan Poe.

A Soldier of the Great War, a novel by Mark Helprin.


Upcoming Plans:


Second Book of Chronicles, a book of the Old Testament, KJV.

“Purgatorio,” 2nd part of the epic poem of The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri.

Life on the Mississippi, a memoir by Mark Twain.

“Hills Like White Elephants,” a short story by Earnest Hemingway.

 “A Descent into Maelstrom,” a short story by Edgar Allan Poe.

ifferismsif, a work of non-fiction by Dr. Mardy Grothe.

“The Shawl,” a short story by Cynthia Ozick.

Washington Square, a novel by Henry James.

3 comments:

  1. I think you'll find the Helprin a much easier read than many of the works you undertake. Definitely easier than Les Mis. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was happy to see that you found something by Poe that you felt worth reading. His works, while I admit a bit odd, were some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Sue. I am the odd person out. Most people like or even love Edgar Allen Poe's work.

      Delete