"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Trivia: Top Five World Cities with the Most Bridges


This may be a new category for the blog.  Call this “interesting trivia.”  I subscribe to a trivia site, which floods me with advertisements and emails.  But I enjoy trying to answer the trivia questions.

This question listed the top five cities in the world with the most bridges.  The introduction actually started off with Portland Oregon’s claim they are the “City of Bridges” having a grand total of twelve.  Ha!  I laughed.  Here in New York City we probably have twelve in one borough.  After all we are on a harbor with two rivers coming together and a host of islands.  Still I wondered if NYC would make the top five.  There are a lot of cities with harbors and rivers.

So here are the top five in reverse order with a count of the bridges.

5. Venice, Italy, 391 bridges.

That doesn’t surprise me.  After all, everybody has at least one bridge on their block.  If anything the number seems low.  But Venice is not a very big city.  It is a very beautiful city though.  I’ve been there.  It may be the most beautiful city in the world.



4. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, 446 bridges.

Now that surprised me.  I would not have guessed.  I have been to Pittsburg and it does have a confluence of three rivers.  It’s not that big a city, but I guess they love to build bridges there.  It used to be one of the world’s steel making capital.  The certainly had lots of I-Beams to build with.



3. New York City, New York, USA, 789 bridges.

There we are!  We made the list.  Now that’s a lot of bridges.  I didn’t think we had that many, but they are around.  I’ve posted plenty of pictures of my walks over the Brooklyn Bridge.  Here’s one.  And I’ve also posted pictures of the Verrazano Bridge, here.  



2. Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1281 bridges.

That would make sense.  Amsterdam is built on water.  I wonder if they are floating bridges.  Could they have modular bridges?  Nonetheless I bet they are not very big bridges. 



1. Hamburg, Germany, 2300 bridges.

Hey, I’ve been there too!  I posted on my business trip to Hamburg, here.  Oh wow, it’s been almost seven years now.  I didn’t think it was that long ago.  That’s a city with at least one river and a big harbor.  I am surprised it has that many bridges, but I did notice quite a few.

  

Now that is a weird-looking bridge.  Only German engineering.  ;) 

So I have been in four of the five cities with the most bridges.  I would never have guessed.

2 comments:

  1. When I went to Venice it was flooded.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, too bad. It happens a lot actually from what I hear.

      Delete