"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Short Story Analysis: A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O’Connor, Part 3


This is the final post on Flannery O’Connor’s “A Good Man is Hard to Find.”
You can find Part 1 here.  
And you can find Part 2 here.  



I started the conversation with a question of what is similar and what is different between the Misfit and the grandmother.  I think there is a value in exploring this contrast, especially since I see it as leading to another theological theme.

As to how they are different, perhaps that is the easy side of the equation and we can dispense with it quickly.  First, the grandmother is not a killer.  Second, the grandmother uses her verbal dexterity and her wits to get her way and not a gun.  "She was a talker," Bobby Lee says.  Meanwhile the Misfit seems to be rather reticent.  He's the opposite of his father who seems to have a "knack of handling" the authorities.  The Misfit is the opposite; he seems to succumb to the authorities.  Interestingly the authorities claim the Misfit killed his father, the talker, just as he will kill the grandmother, the talker.  I think the suggestion is that the Misfit really did kill his father.  The grandmother's entire interaction with the Misfit is her attempt to handle the authority of the guy with the gun.  She fails.  The guy with the gun gets his way.

As to how they are similar, that takes some close reading to reveal, but I think it's more probing.  They are both sinful people, though I think the Misfit realizes his sins while the grandmother is oblivious to them.  But I think at the heart of it, their sins stem from the same impulse.  Committing crimes and especially murdering people is imposing your will over God's will.  What are the grandmother's chief sins?  As I listed above, she's vindictive, childish, conniving, manipulative, and devious.  I said she was "passive-aggressive" which at its core is not that different from the Misfit's aggressive behavior, the difference being how they weaponized the aggression.  Notice the grandmother aggressive behavior toward Bailey when she tries to change his mind about going to Florida standing "with one hand on her thin hip and the other rattling the newspaper at his bald head."  Now the newspaper is not a gun, but the posturing is aggressive.  Vindictive, conniving, manipulative, these are sins where she is imposing her will onto people.  Ultimately for both the Misfit and for Grandma, it's not "thy will be done" but "my will be done."

And the childishness is also a commonality between the two.  We've seen the grandmother reduce herself to the children's level.  She banters on their level and they feel free to continue the bantering because they see her as a mental equal.  The Misfit too is an adult who appears to not have matured.  He doesn't kill for gain; he kills for the heck of it.  His problems seem to stem from when he was a child.

"I never was a bad boy that I remember of," The Misfit said in an almost dreamy voice, "but somewheres along the line I done something wrong and got sent to the penitentiary. I was buried alive," and he looked up and held her attention to himby a steady stare.

"That's when you should have started to pray," she said. "What did you do to get sent to the penitentiary that first time?"

"Turn to the right, it was a wall," The Misfit said, looking up again at the cloudless sky. "Turn to the left, it was a wall. Look up it was a ceiling, look down it was a floor. I forget what I done, lady. I set there and set there, trying to remember what it was I done and I ain't recalled it to this day. Oncet in a while, I would think it was coming to me, but it never come."

Not remembering one's crime is actually what a child says and does.  At the end when the grandmother hits a nerve on whether Jesus existed that brings the Misfit into a childish emotion.

"I wasn't there so I can't say He didn't," The Misfit said. "I wisht I had of been there," he said, hitting the ground with his fist. "It ain't right I wasn't there because if I had of been there I would of known. Listen lady," he said in a high voice, "if I had of been there I would of known and I wouldn't be like I am now."  His voice seemed about to crack and the grandmother's head cleared for an instant.

He reverts back to his childhood here, and places blame at some outside circumstance for his criminal behavior, making an excuse like a child.  Even he seems to think at the heart of his problem is some inability to piece the adult world together.

"I call myself The Misfit," he said, "because I can't make what all I done wrong fit what all I gone through in punishment."

No child thinks his punishment is warranted.  He is saying that about himself.  And what criminal calls himself the "Misfit?"  Al Capone called himself "Scarface."  The famous pirate called himself "Blackbeard."  Another criminal was called "Jack the Ripper."  John Wesley and June Star in the story are misfits.  As is the grandmother.  The name "The Misfit" is childish, and suggests his problems are rooted in an arrested development.

Another commonality between the two is a veneer of respectability.  Yes, the Misfit is a psychopathic killer, but he is respectful and kind.  When the grandmother recognizes the Misfit and Bailey shouts some unmentionable words to his mother, the Misfit finds an excuse for Bailey: “Lady,” he said, “don’t you get upset. Sometimes a man says things he don’t mean. I don’t reckon he meant to talk to you thataway.”  When the misfit wants to send Bailey and John Wesley into the woods, he asks kindly.  He is even kinder when he asks the children’s mother and the little girl, making sure one of his henchmen helps the mother up.  He even excuses himself when he’s embarrassed to be shirtless in front of ladies.

” He put on his black hat and looked up suddenly and then away deep into the woods as if he were embarrassed again. “I’m sorry I don’t have on a shirt before you ladies,” he said, hunching his shoulders slightly.  “We buried our clothes that we had on when we escaped and we’re just making do until we can get better. We borrowed these from some folks we met,” he explained.
He’s trying to make do “until we can get better,”   That’s the language of one concerned with respectability. 

The grandmother’s veneer of respectability is on display throughout the story.  She dresses fancy for a vacation ride because “anyone seeing her dead on the highway would know at once that she was a lady.”  She tells June Star she should be “ashamed” for insulting the waitress but meanwhile moments before in private she used the most horrid racist terms.  And she is obsessed with the notion of a “good man.”  She tells Red Butts he’s a good man.  Red Butts is essentially a lying slob who keeps a monkey chained to a tree and bosses his wife around.  And what does she tell the Misfit?

“I just know you’re a good man,” she said desperately. “You’re not a bit common!”

Not being “common” seems to be her definition of what is a good man.  I’m sure she considers herself a good lady, after all she does think of herself as a lady and not common.  But is this the Christian definition of a good man?  Isn’t the definition of a good man one who acts like Jesus Christ, who has the heart of Jesus Christ, or at least tries to?  Neither Red Butts nor the Misfit nor the grandmother even come close to acting like Christ.  That is why a good man is hard to find.

###

Let me just add that there is nothing wrong with being respectable.  We all should be respectable.  Respectability is a way of being neighborly.  The issue is that that for the grandmother (and the Misfit) it is only a veneer.  Just as the Misfit on the surface is respectable while inside he's a cold hearted murderer, the grandmother is only respectable on the outside while on the inside she's a selfish racist.

So why are all these similarities between the Misfit and the grandmother important?  Ultimately the story is about the grandmother.  The similarities between the two provide a projection into each one.  So what is at the core of the Misfit, can be, with some reasonable consideration, attributed to the grandmother.  This I think is important to grasp the theological implications of the story.  We are allowed into the Misfit's theological understanding of life, and so with reasonable deliberation, we can project that theological world view to the grandmother.  Let's look at some of the theological points.  Let’s look at the easiest one first, not needing help.

"If you would pray," the old lady said, "Jesus would help you."
"That's right," The Misfit said.
"Well then, why don't you pray?" she asked trembling with delight suddenly.
"I don't want no hep," he said. "I'm doing all right by myself."

Is he really doing alright by himself?  He’s been locked up in jail.  He’s not doing alright.  He could use a lot of help.  Now project this into the grandmother, and let’s consider the state of her soul.  Is her soul doing alright by herself?  She doesn’t seem to want help and she is extraordinarily willful.  It’s been her will, not “thy will.”  From what we have seen of her sinfulness, I would say right now she’s heading for hell, the metaphysical equivalent of the Misfit’s jail. 

Second, let’s look at how the Misfit can’t seem to recall sins.

"Turn to the right, it was a wall," The Misfit said, looking up again at the cloudless sky. "Turn to the left, it was a wall. Look up it was a ceiling, look down it was a floor. I forget what I done, lady. I set there and set there, trying to remember what it was I done and  ain't recalled it to this day. Oncet in a while, I would think it was coming to me, but it never come."

Consider that as a metaphor for sitting at judgment day in front of Christ the judge.  None of us will be able to recall all the sins of a lifetime.  Most of the time we aren’t even aware of the sins we commit that moment.  Look at all the sins the grandmother has committed on that morning’s journey.  She’s oblivious to them. 

Third, let’s look at what the Misfit says about matching the punishment to the crime.

"Jesus thown everything off balance.  It was the same case with Him as with me except He hadn't committed any crime and they could prove I had committed one because they had the papers on me. Of course," he said, "they never shown me my papers. That's why I sign myself now.  I said long ago, you get you a signature and sign everything you do and keep a copy of it. Then you'll know what you done and you can hold up the crime to the punishment and see do they match and in the end you'll have something to prove you ain't been treated right.

Again, take that as a metaphor for facing the Judge and He going down a list of your sins to decide what your eternal fate will be.  This is how the Misfit conceptualizes eternal judgement.  But that’s not theologically correct, at least from a Catholic perspective.  It’s not a list but the state of your soul at death.  We all commit sins, but is your soul clean and absolved and in a state of grace?  I think we get further insight when the Misfit talks about his name.

I call myself The Misfit," he said, "because I can't make what all I done wrong fit what all I gone through in punishment."


The implication I think is that he can’t fit the theology together.  It doesn’t make sense to him.  I think O’Connor is contrasting a Protestant world view against a Catholic.  We the reader know the Catholic view, and we’re watching the Protestants live out their dislocations that result from their world view.  It’s O’Connor who solicits Protestant and Catholic distinctions by naming the boy “John Wesley,” the same as a famous Protestant theologian.

For O’Connor, it seems to me that what drives her Protestant characters to this sort of tension and anxiety is the lack of graces we Catholics receive from the sacraments and from a church that provides authority.  We don’t have to make it fit.  The Church and the Magisterium has made it fit for us.  For the Misfit, and the grandmother presumably, it’s him and his bible.  They have to make it fit on their own.  Second, the sacrament of penance on a regular basis would have done both the Misfit and the grandmother a world of good.  Neither would be experiencing the anxiety of a final judgement if their sins had been taken care of sacramentally.

So when the grandmother implores the Misfit to “pray, pray” and call on Jesus for help, she is symbolically telling herself to pray and to call on Jesus.  Notice how many times she calls on Jesus in that encounter.  Notice, when she reaches her moment of crises, she falls “down in the ditch with her legs twisted under her.”  Are her legs twisted supposed to suggest the crossed legs of Christ on the cross?  Is O’Connor giving her a spiritual communion with Christ as the grandmother seems to emotionally breakdown?  I think so.  It comes just before her moment of compassion.  A spiritual communion is as close as one can come to actually receiving the sacrament.  We have been living with spiritual communions watching Mass on TV during this virus. 

I would also venture to say that the three bullets the Mistfit fires into her is a spiritual sacrament too.  One could name the bullets Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

I’m not one hundred percent sure on the theology.  If anyone has other thoughts, please feel free to correct me.  I don’t claim to be a theologian.

###

Madeleine Commented:
I like your analysis, Manny, although I think it may be a bit of a reach to imagine the Misfit administering sacraments.

My Reply:
LOL, I didn't quite phrase it that way, but that is a startling thought.

###

I found this nice three and a half minute video biography of O’Connor.  It gives you the basic facts and displays some nice photographs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment