"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Monday, July 20, 2020

Matthew Monday: Texting with His Father

This past week we had a bit of a scare.  Thursday afternoon my wife comes up to where I’m working—I’m still teleworking from home—and asked if there was something wrong with her face.  She said she couldn’t close her left eye and her the left side of her lip was numb.  As I looked carefully her face did look ever so slightly twisted, and her right eye kept blinking.  Yes, there was something wrong.  I dropped everything, got her and Matthew in the car, dropped off Matthew at her mother’s, and drove to the Emergency Room. 

Well, with the coronavirus they just take one into the bowels of the hospital emergency section and any family is left to wait.  Let me just say that the worst possibility of the twisted face is a stroke.  That was my fear while I urgently got to the hospital.  My wife and I each had our phones and for the most part we were in communication through texting.  Through the course of the evening, after examinations, tests, CAT scans, it seemed the likely issue was not a stroke but Bell ’s palsy.  She was admitted because the CAT scans were not conclusive and had to do an MRI.  It was a full twenty-five or twenty-six hours later before she finally had a room available for her, and they did the MRI and thank God it was not a stroke. 

All this time Matthew was at his grandmother’s, and she let him use her phone, and he had become a texting demon.  I didn’t realize he could communicate and write like that.  This is when I tangibly could see that my son, six weeks away from his eleventh birthday, was not a kid any more.  He communicated like—well, not an adult, but certainly not a child.

So Saturday evening I was waiting outside the hospital waiting for my wife to get discharged—it was past visiting hours, and they didn’t allow me in—and my son decided to text me.  I’m going to reproduce the back and forth texts here.

Matthew: Dad what about church tomorrow
Me: St. Rita.
Matthew: Well what time
Me: What time do you want to go?
Matthew: 12:30  Is that fine
Me: Why so late?
Matthew: Cause idk what time I am wake up
Me: I’ll wake you up
Matthew: Mom said I am staying at grandmas for one last night

Now this through me for a loop.  I expected him home after two nights away.

Me: You are?  How come?
Matthew: We cause me and grandma think she need to be in peace so we are staying for one last night  And she agrees

OK, so now I’m getting a little cantankerous.  I know he wants to stay with his grandmother.  It’s fun for him to be away.  Plus I’m not going to let a child dictate when and where he sleeps over.

Me: Maybe we need your help to take care of mommy tonight
Matthew: What does she need

I punctuate my texts.  Obviously he’s picked up common place habits.  I can’t stand all those text abbreviations, and apparently he’s learned them.

Me: Someone has to put pillows under her head.  And take her temperature.

Well, yes, I am groping for a reason.

Matthew: Well idk
Me: OK.  I’ll ask mommy when she comes out.
Matthew: And she said she didn’t sleep much last night 

Pause

Matthew: Mom said I can stay  I just asked her again
Me: I have to ask her.  Not you.  *tongue-in-cheek emoji*
Matthew: You use emojis
Me: Not really.  Just this time
Matthew: Oh 

Pause

Matthew: And why do you have to ask her
Me: Because
Matthew: It cause you don’t believe me
Me: I believe you.  But I may have to try to change her mind
Matthew: Why
Me: Because
Matthew: Meany
Me: Cry baby
Matthew: You’re the cry baby cause your not letting me stay  An your making a big fuss about it
Me: I have to take to mommy about it
Matthew: Meany
Me: *smiling emoji*
Matthew: *rolling eyes emoji*  *clown emoji* *devil emoji*
Me: *laughing with tears emoji*
Matthew: Clown
Me: Hey now watch it.  Enough
Matthew: Fine *sad face emoji*

Pause

Matthew: I am go hang out with grandma  bye
Me: See you later tonight
Matthew: No
Me: *kiss with a heart emoji*
Matthew: Maybe a FaceTime
Me: I don’t FaceTime
Matthew: Oh  OK


OK, we spoke and I let him stay at his grandmother’s that last night.  I was mostly pulling his leg.  But he’s getting too clever and spunky for his own good.  

3 comments:

  1. I am praying that your wife is well soon. Great that you and Matthew get on so well.

    God bless you all always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your wife is recovered now, Manny! What a scare! How fun to see you and Matthew interacting by text! If it makes you feel better, texts are more akin to the spoken word than to the written, so I don't think you need to worry too much about any bad habits he's developing. So good to see you all thriving in this difficult time! Qimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Qimi!! It's so great to hear from you. It's been a long time. Yes, she's recovered. I guess I haven't posted on it. It took over six months and I think there's still a very slight something different with her face. But it's not noticeable for the most part.

      Aren't you in Texas? Have you been affected by the power outages. I wish I had your email. If you want, email me at virgil15marlow@yahoo.com. I would love to stay in touch with you. I hardly ever go over to Lit Net any more.

      Delete