"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Notable Quote: The Lure of the Wild by Jack London

I finished reading Jack London’s White Fang, a novel from the perspective of a wolf-dog as he goes from wild to tame.  White Fang is London’s complementary novel to The Call of the Wild, where a tamed dog enters the forest and becomes wild.


“But it did not all happen in a day, this giving over of himself, body and soul, to the man-animals. He could not immediately forego his wild heritage and his memories of the Wild. There were days when he crept to the edge of the forest and stood and listened to something calling him far and away.”

Jack London, White Fang



7 comments:

  1. They say that dogs used to be wild like wolves, until we tamed them; and now in human environments they become more like humans. I know this is true of our dog as he drinks my whisky, smokes my cigars and takes over the TV remote control! I'm downgraded to eating dog food.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, soon you'll be in the forest and your dog will lock you out. :)

      Delete
  2. White Fang is a marvelous story; the brutality of the wild is starkly demonstrated...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I don't know if I can say I loved it, but it was captivating. I've been trying to work up a post on it. Hopefully I can break myself away from watching baseball every night.

      Delete
  3. I came upon your blog in an odd sort of way. I was banned from commenting on Mark Shea's blog last August and had stopped reading it because of the ban. After being away for several months, I started reading his blog again just to see what I've been missing. I was reading the comments on one post and learned that he has banned you as well.
    One of my passions is reading ebooks available from project gutenberg. After reading your blog, my next downloads from that site will be White Fang and Call of the wild.
    I'll leave a link to my blog if you're interested.
    Robert
    https://sorryalltheclevernamesaretaken.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you Robert. Ah, I assume Mark Shea banned me. I didn't go back. He's such a hypocrite.

      Yes, White Fang is an interesting read. i recommend it. I think it was free or near free on Amazon if you don't mind reading it on Kindle. That's how i read it.

      I checked your blog out. Looks interesting Thanks. I assume you live in the Philippines.

      Delete
    2. You're right, Manny....I live in Philippines so getting printed books (as opposed to ebooks) from Amazon is practically impossible. Kindle is my preferred way of reading - which is why I love Project Gutenberg. I can get thousands of free, public domain ebooks. I can say I rarely read anything published before 1923.

      Delete