"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Personal Note: Mapping Visited States

Today is Election Day, and this is one of the biggest elections (aren’t they all big?) in our history.  No we don’t know the results yet, and I’m voting after work.  But they have these really neat interactive Electoral College maps out there.  Here’s one called 270 To Win.   I have no interest in playing with it to evaluate the electoral possibilities, but someone directed me to use it to identify the states you have lived in and the states you have visited.  Here’s how it turned up for me.  Red is where I have lived, blue is where I have visited, and grey is never visited. 


So my definition of visited is spending at least a few hours in the state in some activity other than driving through or changing planes.  For instance, I don’t recall ever spending a night in New Hampshire but I did take a day excursion there while in Massachusetts.  Except for being born in Italy and my parents immigrating to the US when still a toddler, I have only lived in one state.  Actually I’ve only lived in one city, New York City.  But work over time has taken me across the country, and some vacations have filled in some more.  So, to date I am missing ten out of the fifty states.  

Of course if this Corona virus doesn’t ever go away, I may never visit another state again.

No comments:

Post a Comment