"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Monday, October 3, 2016

Personal Note: Why I Haven’t Been Blogging

I guess there are several reasons.  One, like mentioned earlier, I’m on a new project at work and it’s exhausting.  Two, with Matthew getting older, I’m finding it harder to find some personal free time.  If it’s not homework I have to work with him, it’s wanting to go to the park before it gets dark at night.

But three, and most important of all, baseball season has come to a climax and I’m completely absorbed. 

If you remember I’m a Baltimore Orioles fan.  A big time Baltimore Orioles fan.  It’s been a wild season.  They were in first place for about the first three months of the baseball season, and I was loving it.  It looked like they were going to win their division easily.  Then in the second half, they slumped.  Slowly but surely they declined from first place and looked headed for a complete collapse.  Then in September they clawed their way back and yesterday, the last game of the official season, they won a wild card playoff spot. 

Man, this has been some wild ride.  At the beginning of the season I had bought a Major League Baseball package where I can watch any game, and I’ve been watching every single Orioles game.  Living in New York I could only watch the Orioles play when they came to play a New York team.  Watching every game has been completely absorbing.  I’ve always loved baseball as my favorite sport, but now baseball has entered my soul.  To watch my favorite team play every night has absorbing.  You know how some people become beach bums in their old age; I’ve become a baseball bum.  LOL.

And to top it all off, the TV station that broadcasts their games has a website and blog form which to comment and express our opinions, MASN Sports.  No clue what MASN stands for.  I could look it up, but who cares.  And to top it off, they have a game time live blog where we get to cheer and comment on every play.  After a while you get to know everyone’s personality, some likable, some not.  It really made the season so enjoyable.  Over the last four tension-filled where the playoff spot was on the line, we even started a couple of us started a prayer: “Hail Mary full of grace, help us win the wild card race.”  And it worked!  God listened and we won three out of the four games. 

So Orioles play tomorrow night (Tuesday) at 8 EST against their dreaded foes, the Toronto Blue Jays for the American league wild card spot.  Winner advances into the play offs, loser goes home.  Hail Mary full of grace, help us win the playoff chase! 


The other Sunday I took the family down to Baltimore and we watched the Orioles beat the Arizona Diamondbacks.  Baltimore is a little over three hour drive and we can get there, watch a game, and get back in a day.  It was a nice family day, despite the fact that wife and child are both Yankees fans,  Boo.  Here are a couple of pictures from that day.


That's the view we had.  We were in the left field stands underneath the mezzanine section, which provided a wonderful shade.  It was cap day and we all received Orioles caps.




I had a great zoom on my camera.  I could see all the way to home plate as if it were 20 feet away.  Here are two runs scoring on Hyun Soo Kim’s two run homer.  Orioles won 2-1.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it was all good reasons :) It's a saving grace to have something other than politics to focus on!

    ReplyDelete