"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Notable Quote: On the Order of the Subjects of Life by Muriel Spark

I just read a short story by Muriel Spark (“The Portobello Road”) and I’m in the middle of writing up an analysis.  Hopefully I won’t lose my saved documents like I did last month and waste all my effort.   “The Portobello Road” is a fascinating ghost story which should appeal to literary and not-so-literary readers.  So if you have read it or by chance you have it in a collection and have the chance to read it, check on my analysis of the story.  I searched and searched on the internet to see if there was an online edition, but I just couldn’t find one.  In the meantime you might want to look up Muriel Spark’s biography on Wikipedia.  Among other things she was a Roman Catholic convert. 


In the meantime I leave you with this most notable quote.  I can’t argue with art and religion, which I would say are intertwined, but I might put science ahead of philosophy, given that I’m an engineer.  No, I take that back.  Though philosophy irritates me, I think she’s got it just right.


Art and religion first; then philosophy; lastly science.  That is the order of the great subjects of life, that’s the order of importance.
      -Muriel Spark


4 comments:

  1. Back up your writing on an external drive and smile, smile, smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been for completed documents. I haven't gotten into the habit of documents that are in process.

      Delete
  2. I suspect the reason there is no online edition is because the book is still within Copyright. Muriel Sparks died in 2006 - copyright stays with a book for 70 years after death - then it becomes public. Th book is available on Amazon and other bookstores. I look forward to your review on this Scottish writer from Edinburgh.

    By the way, did you ever get to read my latest book "To love a priest"?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't. I usually read something like that during the summer. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete