"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Sunday Meditation: Behold, the Lamb of God

I love this passage.  I always think of it when at Mass the priest after the Agnus Dei holds up the transubstantiated host and chalice and says, “Behold the Lamb of God.”  I envision John the Baptist pointing to Jesus walking toward him

 

John the Baptist saw Jesus coming toward him and said,

"Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.

He is the one of whom I said,

'A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me

because he existed before me.'

I did not know him,

but the reason why I came baptizing with water

was that he might be made known to Israel."

John testified further, saying,

"I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from heaven

and remain upon him.

I did not know him,

but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me,

'On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain,

he is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.'

Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God."

~Jn 1:29-34

 

Dr. Brant Pitre explains it thoroughly.  It takes two videos.

 



 



 "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.”





No comments:

Post a Comment