"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Monday, December 19, 2022

Matthew Monday: Chanukah

I haven’t had a Matthew Monday in a while.  He’s growing so, and he’s thirteen years old now.  Yesterday he woke up and said, “I think I grew overnight!”  And by golly, I think he did.  He’s going to be taller than me

Yesterday was the first night of Chanukah, and we celebrated at my mother-in=law’s house.  His grandma helped him light the first candle in the menorah.  Here are a couple of pictures.

 



 



Now, being the first night, only one candle is lit.  But the shamash, or “the attendant” candle, used to light the nightly candles.  In the most iconic menorahs, the shamash is usually in the middle.  In this menorah it’s over to the right side.

Here are some basics on how to light a menorah.




2 comments:

  1. That was right interesting! I especially like the Catholic school shirt and the menorah together. Splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even notice the tee shirt. Thanks for pointing it out. It does make an interesting contrast.

      Delete