"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Sunday, October 10, 2021

Sunday Meditation: The Spirit of Wisdom

I absolutely adore this passage from the Book of Wisdom.

 

I prayed, and prudence was given me;

I pleaded, and the spirit of wisdom came to me.

I preferred her to scepter and throne,

and deemed riches nothing in comparison with her,

nor did I liken any priceless gem to her;

because all gold, in view of her, is a little sand,

and before her, silver is to be accounted mire.

Beyond health and comeliness I loved her,

and I chose to have her rather than the light,

because the splendor of her never yields to sleep.

Yet all good things together came to me in her company,

and countless riches at her hands.

       -Wisdom 7:7-11

 

Of course, on the surface the woman referred is Lady Wisdom.  One step deeper, it is a good and loving wife.  One step beyond that, it is the Blessed Mother. 

 



2 comments:

  1. Hands down, one of my favorite passages, too. I know I wrote a blogpost on it awhile back but I can't find it. But, one of my daughters was inspired to make a beautiful print of it and frame it for a Christmas gift for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a perfect gift for a mother! It really is a beautiful passage. Thanks Jan.

      Delete