"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Monday, June 16, 2014

Matthew Monday: Father’s Day 2014

Father’s Day for us since our first is to go on some sort of “adventure.”  So far that has meant getting on the Staten Island Ferry and heading off into Manhattan.  Two years ago it was a bus and ferry ride over and hanging around Battery Park; last year it was a ferry ride over to the new World Trade Center, the once dubbed "FreedomTower" that was in progress of being built.  No we didn’t sneak in and up like some kid did a few months ago.  This year we took the ferry over and headed uptown on the subway to Central Park and hiked around.  It was a beautiful day.  Actually all three years and even the one going back to Kazakhstan have all been beautiful days here on Father’s Day. 

Well, the day started interesting.  The little whippersnapper got me out of bed by singing:

Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O.
And on his farm he had a daddy, E-I-E-I-O. 

With a snore, snore here,
 And a snore, snore there,
 Here a snore, there a snore,
 Everywhere a snore, snore. 

Then he gave me a drawing he made and a Father’s Day card.  Very nice.  We went to the earlier Mass to free up as much of the afternoon as possible.  And before we were off, my wife took this picture of us on our deck. 

 

 

If you can't make it out, Matthew is holding up a Captain America and Spiderman figues. 
 
On the ferry I was able to snap this while passing the Statue of Liberty.
 


 

 
Central park has these huge granite (I think they’re granite) boulders scattered around, and it was Matthew’s mission to climb them.  Here are a few of the pictures at the top of the rocks.  If you’ve never been to New York’s Central Park, you can see the park is huge and in the center of a very urban Manhattan.   There are these beautiful buildings that peek over from the perimeter of the park.

 

 




As you can see he wanted to wear his Batman tee shirt.  But here he is at the top of this huge stone thinking he’s Superman.

 

 

There are statues everywhere in Central Park, and here Matthew was able to climb up to one.

 

 

Oh there were too many pictures I could share, but here are just two more by the pond.  The park is just so beautiful.





 


Boy my feet were aching when we finally got home.  And all we covered was a small corner of the park.   

Here’s a funny side story.  I bought a map of the park just to get my bearings.  The map was advertised as “20 Things To Do In NYC For A Penny.”  Cost of the map, two dollars.  Hmm.  And it wasn’t even that good a map.

17 comments:

  1. What a fun tradition for Father's Day! Matthew is growing up so fast. It was a beautiful day for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Father's Day, I'm glad you have your annual outing making lots of great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep makin' those amazing memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great day. Perfect. Good on ya' mate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived in an apartment on 74th and Central Park West in 1957. Loved that park. I loved the ocean as well, so spent a lot of time on the Staten Island Ferry, which only cost a nickel or a dime at the time. A person could go back and forth all day long on one fare.
    Kay of Montana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the SI Ferry is now free if you can believe it. Some things do go down! That's a beautiful part of Manhattan to live, and 1957 was the height of NYC. Thank you for commenting Kay.

      Delete
  6. What a big boy you have. What you are doing is what makes memories and it will be something he will share with his own children someday....."when I was growing up, me and my dad......." and no doubt a tradition he will carry on.


    I loved this Marlow. It brought back memories of my own son growing up and how he spent "quality time" with his dad. BUT that was mostly on golf courses beginning with the age of 7. Not so bad though. He has a 8 handicap and bought his own kids the same kind of gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sissy. I know it's you. I don't golf but we'll have some father/son traditions. :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Manny,
    Glad you guys had fun on Father's Day. Matthew seemed to have enjoyed it a lot. Great blog and the images are terrific. May I ask what kind of camera you have used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's from my Nikon 60 DSL. It's on the old side now. They've got more updated versions, but this still suits my needs.

      Delete
  8. Sheherbano

    PS. Forgot to mention my mane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're doing well. It's been a bit since we last talked. :)

      Delete
  9. Manny, Thank you for sharing this blog post. These days are precious as they are numbered. They really do grow too fast or is it that we just age too quickly? Blessings on your family.

    Best Regards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And blessings to your family. I hope you're children are doing well. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Manny,

    That is such a lovely tradition you started. I know you two guys have a lot of fun together! I would know it even if I couldn't see the pictures!

    Qimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Qimi. I haven't spoken to you in a while. Hope things are well.

      Delete