"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Friday, February 21, 2014

Faith Filled Friday: Blessed are They Who Follow the Law of the Lord!

I thought this passage from this past Sunday’s psalm reading at mass struck me as making a very good prayer. 

 

Instruct me, O LORD, in the way of your statutes,
that I may exactly observe them.
Give me discernment, that I may observe your law
and keep it with all my heart.


R/ Blessed are they who follow the law of the Lord!

                                                                        -Psalm 119:33-34

It reminded me of my neighbors, the Orthodox Jews, who live their lives in their efforts to obey everyone of their commandments.  God bless them.  They are my spiritual older brothers.
 

2 comments:

  1. I have a real feeling of kinship with Jews. Have all my life. I lived for a time, with my Aunt in a Jewish neighborhood in NE Philly, making friends with the kids there. I don't know if that is why, if being immersed in sort of the day to day culture, or just as you said, the ties with our roots, but I love to read about Jewish culture and beliefs. I am surprised to find much of modern Jewish thinking to be quite liberal. Unless that is just the stuff that is rising to the top of the media push. I also follow the Facebooker Rebbe ( a humorous take on a real Rebbe, the Lubavitcher Rebbe), but his message is for faithful Jews. Much like we would post New Testament verses and Christian sayings. Anyways--your post got me thinking about all that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there's a huge gap between Liberal (Liberal in the religious sense, not political) and Orthodox. They don't even get along for the most part. I'm not on Facebook or I would check out that Rebbe's page.

      Delete