"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Sunday, July 21, 2024

Sunday Meditation: The Apostles Return

Today’s Gospel we have a continuation from last week’s.  Last week we saw Jesus send forth the apostles two by two to heal and cast out demons.  That was from Mk 6:7-13.  Today the apostles return to tell Jesus all that they had done.  One gets a sense that they are all excited with the accomplishments attained from the power Jesus has entrusted to them.  Jesus must have been satisfied because He rewards them with a period of rest, rest being so important in the Jewish of concept of the Sabbath.  But the apostles (through Jesus of course) must have done a super job because now multitudes are seeking them out. 

Today’s readings are also from Mark chapter six, verses 30 to 34.  So if Jesus sends them out in verses 13 and they return in verse 30, what happened from verses 14 through 29?  Take out your Bibles and see.  It is the story of John the Baptist being imprisoned, bound, and slain so that King Herod could satisfy an oath.  This is another of those Markan sandwiches, a story inserted in between the beginning and conclusion of another story.  First Jesus sends out His apostles; then we get the beheading of John the Baptist, and then the original story concludes with the return of the apostles. 

But why the intertwining of story?  The middle story is supposed to give the main story context and thereby expand the meaning of the main story.  Here is the conclusion of the main story.

 

The apostles gathered together with Jesus

and reported all they had done and taught.

He said to them,

“Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.”

People were coming and going in great numbers,

and they had no opportunity even to eat.

So they went off in the boat by themselves to a deserted place.

People saw them leaving and many came to know about it.

They hastened there on foot from all the towns

and arrived at the place before them.

 

When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd,

his heart was moved with pity for them,

for they were like sheep without a shepherd;

and he began to teach them many things.

~Mk 6:30-34

First let’s understand the Gospel passage as explained by Dr. Brant Pitre.

 


So what does the beheading of John the Baptist interlude add?  Certainly King Herod is a bad shepherd.  The bounding and killing of John the Baptist certainly prefigures the crucifixion of Jesus, but I think it also prefigures the future martyrdom of the apostles.


Sunday Meditation: “His heart was moved with pity for them”

 

Instead of a John Michael Talbot song, I think the hymn, “The King of Love My Shepherd Is” would make a very appropriate musical piece for this Sunday.

 


 

The King of love my shepherd is,

Whose goodness fails me never;

I nothing lack if I am His,

And He is mine for ever.

 

Where streams of living water flow,

With gentle care He leads me,

And where the verdant pastures grow,

With heav'nly food he feeds me.

 

Perverse and foolish I have strayed,

But yet in love He sought me,

And on His shoulder gently laid,

And home rejoicing brought me.

 

In death's dark vale I fear no ill,

With you, dear Lord, beside me;

Your rod and staff my comfort still,

Your cross before to guide me.

 

You spread a table in my sight;

Your saving grace bestowing,

And O what joy and true delight,

From your pure chalice flowing.

 

And so through all the length of days,

Your goodness fails me never,

Good Shepherd, may I sing your praise,

Within your house for ever.

 

Good Shepherd, may I sing your praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment