"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Poetry: Part I of T.S. Eliot’s Ash Wednesday

I adore this blessed day, Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of Lent.  Time for penance is so critical to the Christian life.  T.S. Eliot knew this.  His poem Ash Wednesday is his first major poem after his religious conversion captures the penitential need.  Indeed, Brad Birzer at The Imaginative Conservative in his essay, “T.S. Eliot’s “Ash Wednesday,” considers the poem to be Eliot’s ‘the Purgatorio between the Inferno of “The Waste-land” and the Paradiso of the “Four Quartets”’.  That is an interesting analogy and mostly accurate I would say.  Birzer’s essay is worth reading.

I’m not going to get into any analysis, and I am not posting the entire poem here.  I have written on it in the past.  In 2013 I posted on Part II.  There are six parts to the poem.  It’s too lengthy to explicate the entire poem in a post, and I’m not really going to explicate even Part I which I am posting here.  You can read it in its entirety at All Poetry here.     

I am going to post Part I, and I will say a few words on it.

 

Ash Wednesday

By T. S. Eliot

 

I

Because I do not hope to turn again

Because I do not hope

Because I do not hope to turn

Desiring this man's gift and that man's scope

I no longer strive to strive towards such things

(Why should the agèd eagle stretch its wings?)

Why should I mourn

The vanished power of the usual reign?

 

Because I do not hope to know

The infirm glory of the positive hour

Because I do not think

Because I know I shall not know

The one veritable transitory power

Because I cannot drink

There, where trees flower, and springs flow, for there is nothing again

 

Because I know that time is always time

And place is always and only place

And what is actual is actual only for one time

And only for one place

I rejoice that things are as they are and

I renounce the blessèd face

And renounce the voice

Because I cannot hope to turn again

Consequently I rejoice, having to construct something

Upon which to rejoice

 

And pray to God to have mercy upon us

And pray that I may forget

These matters that with myself I too much discuss

Too much explain

Because I do not hope to turn again

Let these words answer

For what is done, not to be done again

May the judgement not be too heavy upon us

 

Because these wings are no longer wings to fly

But merely vans to beat the air

The air which is now thoroughly small and dry

Smaller and dryer than the will

Teach us to care and not to care Teach us to sit still.

 

Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death

Pray for us now and at the hour of our death.

So what we see in Part 1 is a man caught in despair (“I do not hope” of the first three lines and beyond) who is reaching out for mercy.  It does echo the Purgatorio of Dante’s Divine Comedy.  Purgatory in Dante is constructed as a mountain which you corkscrew around to the top.  And so Eliot provides allusion to turning, and the eagle alludes to Dante the character being carried up by an eagle from the lower section of Purgatory to the start of the terraces (Pur. IX). And the Eliot central character is trying to expunge his sin of envy: “Desiring this man's gift and that man's scope,” an allusion to a line from Shakespeare’s sonnet 29, envying another writer’s talent.  Now that I’ve oriented you, I think the rest follows.  He ends Part I with the closing lines of the Hail Mary prayer.

Remember, unto dust you shall return. 

I hope you had a blessed Ash Wednesday.



No comments:

Post a Comment