"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Personal Note: Kitten With A Cup Stuck On His Head

Well I had a strange incident Saturday morning. I was walking Rosie and I noticed this little kitten under a SUV parked on a driveway. It was acting strange and when I looked more carefully it had a white plastic cup stuck on its head. It couldn’t see, but it could hear, and I think trying to hide.  It couldn't get the cup off. I wasn't sure what to do. I walked past not to scare him off, to the next house down the street to let him relax. I tied Rosie to the house railing, hoping no one would come out. I snuck up behind the kitten. It couldn't see me of course. Knelt under the SUV and grabbed him, held him against me with my left arm while I pulled the cup off its head. The cup was really stuck. Poor thing would have probably died. And then I let him go and he scrambled off. He was gray and white.  He was a tiny thing. Probably recently broke away from his mother. 

It broke my heart to see the little tyke compromised like that.  I wonder how long the cup had been stuck on his head.  Perhaps all night.  Perhaps he was reaching a point of resolution.  He did struggle when I held against my chest.  It was probably frightened as can be.  The cup seemed like it was a child’s cup, for a toddler, and it had some residue of food inside.  I can see how a little kitten would stick his head all the way in.

I was surprised at how successful my plan turned out, sneaking behind him and grabbing him.  There had to be some sort of divine guidance to it all.  I was that poor kitten’s angel.  It felt so nice to hold a kitten again, even if it was just for a few seconds.  I can still feel his little legs pushing against my chest.  I would have liked to have taken the kitten home, but we really can’t fit another pet in our home.  Plus I was too far to be able to hold him all the way home without him wriggling out of my arms.  I hope I at least see him around the neighborhood.  I wish I could have taken his picture.

The incident has been on my mind ever since, so I thought I would put it into a blog post.  It happened on the Saturday before Divine Mercy Sunday, and all I have been thinking since was “mercy.”  I went out of my way to give the kitten mercy.  Perhaps, I thought afterward, I am just like that kitten with a cup stuck over my head unable to see.  May God give me mercy as well.  I think I will call him Mercy if I see him around.

3 comments:

  1. A lovely story, Manny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why dintcha keep it? Cute story though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a good five or six blocks away from home. I would never have been able to hold him while holding Rosie on the leash. But I am missing him. I keep walking Rosie down that way but not finding him.

      Delete