I know it’s Halloween, but tomorrow is All Saints Day, and that’s way more important. The October edition of the devotional magazine Magnificant had in anticipation of the feast day for saints a list of quotes by some of the most memorable saints in the cannon. It was one quote per saint, and the list lasted eight and a half pages, which I estimate to be about eighty quotes. I wasn’t sure how to honor All Saints Day with my Faith Filled Friday category, so I decided to emulate and provide ten memorable quotes by ten different saints.
1."Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort me and restore me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger."
2."On the question of relating to our fellowman – our neighbor’s spiritual need transcends every commandment. Everything else we do is a means to an end. But love is an end already, since God is love."
-St. Teresa Benedicta (Edith Stein)
3. “Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent.”
-St. John of the Cross
4. “All my pleasure in this land of exile is that of having every kind of suffering found on the cross, deprived of every other consolation except that of the Sacred Heart.”
-St. Margret Mary Alacoque
5. “Though God hates sin more than any other thing, he loves us poor miserable sinners. He ardently desires the welfare of our souls as if his own happiness depends on it.”
-St. John Neumann
6. “A talkative soul lacks both the essential virtues and intimacy with God. A deeper interior life, one of gentle peace and of that silence where the Lord dwells, is quite out of the question. A soul that has never tasted the sweetness of inner silence is a restless spirit which disturbs the silence of others.”
7. “I understood that every flower created by Him is beautiful, that the brilliance of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not lessen the perfume of the violet or the sweet simplicity of the daisy. I understood that if all the lowly flowers wished to be roses, nature would no longer be enameled with lovely hues. And so it is in the world of souls, Our Lord's living garden.”
-St. Thérèse de Lisieux
8. “Thou hast made us for thyself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee.”
-St. Augustine of Hippo
9. “Brother wolf, thou hast done much evil in this land, destroying and killing the creatures of God without his permission; yea, not animals only hast thou destroyed, but thou hast even dared to devour men, made after the image of God; for which thing thou art worthy of being hanged like a robber and a murderer. All men cry out against thee, the dogs pursue thee, and all the inhabitants of this city are thy enemies; but I will make peace between them and thee, O brother wolf, if so be thou no more offend them, and they shall forgive thee all thy past offences, and neither men nor dogs shall pursue thee anymore.”
-St. Francis of Assisi
10. “"The soul is in God and God in the soul, just as the fish is in the sea and the sea in the fish."
-St. Catherine of Siena
I hope you like these. Our communion of saints provides us with so rich a history and legacy. Is there any particular saint’s quote you’d like to share?